Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

Oh, how my life has changed... I used to love snow days so I could sleep in, watch movies and then order take out.

Now on a snow day, I somehow end up getting up earlier than on a normal work day (how do kids know?!?) and getting all jazzed about trying those recipes that I've pinned on Pinterest or dog eared in one of my favorite cookbooks. Most of them are exactly what I expected, but this was a big surprise. It was super easy, I only had to buy one ingredient (!), smelled great and tasted as good.  I also had plenty left to freeze, which is also a plus.

I made tons of adjustments to the original recipe, so I'm just posting my version.



Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients
2 lbs chicken (I used 2 freezer packs of breast cutlets from Costco-since it was all white, I added about 1/2 tbsp of butter, but you could leave that out)
1 1/2 cups carrots chopped
2 1/2 stalks celery chopped
1 onion sliced
2 squirts of ginger from a tube (the recipe called for 2 peeled 1/4 inch slices-who has time for that?)
1 tsp freeze dried oregano (recipe called for 3 stalks rosemary-but I subbed oregano in)
6 cups chicken broth (Recipe called for 4, but my soup got really thick so i added 2 more cups broth + 2 cups water the last hour. I used bullion cubes so I can quick make some more if I need to)
1 cup white wine (TJ box special!!!)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups egg noodles (plus an extra handful or 2 if you want more noodles)

Instructions
Put everything except the noodles into the crock pot. Cook on low 8 hours.
Shred chicken and return to crock pot.
Add egg noodles and more water/broth if needed and continue cooking on high 20-30 minutes or until noodles are done.

I served it with biscuits and it was a huge hit! My husband said it was the best chicken soup he'd ever had. My 14 month old son ate 2 bowls and sad, "mmm mmm mmm!" and my 3 year old voluntarily tasted it. That's a pretty big success in our house. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment