Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Chicken Yakisoba

Well, friends. It's been months since any of us posted, but that's what happens when life happens :-). I've tried tons of great recipes and always forget to take pics! In fact, today's post nearly didn't happen. You see, I got all set up and took a nice ingredients photo: 


Then I got started prepping all those lovely ingredients. I was using a new knife that I'm not quite used to, and distracted by my two very tired and starving kids. Not to get into too much detail, there was a lot of blood, and my sweet husband had to help me wrap myself up. As I sit here, I can still feel my pulse in my finger, and I'm just hoping that my fingernail survives. But, there are hungry people to feed! So I finished up, but totally forgot to take any other pictures until it was on the table:


My husband compared this to restaurant food, and my son was literally slurping this off his plate (he's not even 2). The best part? I have most of these ingredients in my pantry, all I actually had to buy today was the ginger, ramen and cabbage. I also love dishes like this because they are super forgiving. Don't like onions? Leave them out. Love broccoli? Add more! All right, enough of that. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 lb chicken breast, cut into thin strips
1/2 head green cabbage, cut into thin strips
2 inches fresh ginger, minced (food processor to the rescue)
Handful baby carrots, shredded
1 crown broccoli, bite sized pieces
1 yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tbsp Sriracha (less if you want a mild dish)
1 tbsp ketchup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp sugar
3 packages ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)

Steps
1. Add ramen to boiling water and cook 3 minutes. Drain and return to pot. Toss with sesame oil to keep from sticking and set aside.

2. Heat vegetable oil in wok over medium high heat. Add ginger and sauté about 30 seconds. Add chicken until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the veggies at once. The pile is huge, but stir often and they will wilt right down in about 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile in a small bowl, make the sauce. Mix soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sriracha, ketchup and sugar. 

4. Add sauce and noodles to veggies until well combined and heated though. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment