Sunday, November 3, 2013

Greek salad is wonderfully versatile not to mention delicious.

There are many recipes for Greek Salads and I confess that I have never tried one that I didn't love.  There are versions of this salad made from cucumbers and tomatoes from all around the Mediterranean and although they are similar, this one is my favorite because with a piece of warm bread, this is a hearty lunch and add a piece of grilled chicken and you have a satisfying dinner that even the Grillmaster approves of.  Another plus for this recipe is that the dressing which is super easy, works well on a whole variety of salads. This particular salad, in Greek is called Horiatiki Salata

Dressing
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil,( Greek if possible although I like Spanish olive oil as well.)
2 tablespoons dried Greek oregano.  ( I like the wide leafed oregano that I grow and fresh makes it really great.)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 dashes Tabasco  (I know, not authentic but I prefer it anyway.  You can use 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.)

Put in a liquid tight container and shake well to mix.  If you use dried oregano, let this sit at least 30 minutes before you pour over the salad. An hour or more is better.

Salad
4 medium Roma tomatoes. Cut into wedges ( I will substitute 15 to 20 grape tomatoes. Cut in half)
1 Persian/English cucumbers cut in half length-wise and cut into thin slices
1 red bell pepper, cut length-wise, seeded and then sliced into narrow slices
1 green  bell pepper, cut same as the red
1 medium red onion quartered and then sliced paper-thin
20 Kalamata olives. ( I always cut them in half so no one is surprised by a hidden pit)
1/2 pound feta, coarsely crumbled

Combine all the salad ingredients in a very large mixing bowl.  Add the feta cheese and dressing just before serving.

This makes 6 to 8 meal sized portions.  It is also a great salad for potlucks and buffet meals.


No comments:

Post a Comment