Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Long time coming

Wow! It has been a long time since I last posted a blog.  I started a new job and was really involved in what I was doing.  But I did not stop cooking.  In fact the recipe I am describing today was one I made the first week of October.

Do you ever wish for a recipe that looks like a million bucks but is so easy, you almost feel guilty.  That would be this main dish/salad dish.  It is good for potluck dinners and banquets because it can be fixed in advance and is very attractive.  I like it especially for the Christmas holiday parties  because it is so easy and colorful.

It is all red and green in this picture as I usually use tricolor end pasta but you could use plain pasta and it would still taste great and be photogenic.

Tortellini salad

1 9oz. Package refrigerated cheese tortellini (I like the tri-color, five cheese variety)
8 oz. sugar snap peas ( you can use frozen but fresh is better)
1pint grape tomatoes (I like to mix yellow and red)
1/4 cup grated Romano and Parmesan cheese
1/2 bottle Girard's Light Champagne Dressing

Cook tortellini according to package directions.  Put the sugar snap peas in a colander and pour the boiling water/ tortellini into the colander. This will blanch the snap peas.  Rinse under cold water, drain and put into a 2.5 quart or larger mixing bowl. Add the salad dressing. Cover.  Refrigerate. When the tortellini and peas are chilled, cut each tomato in half lengthwise and toss into the mixture.  Add the shredded cheese and mix. Usually, I double or triple the recipe.

This is really attractive served in a clear glass bowl. Stand back and enjoy the complements.

1 comment: