Thursday, September 26, 2013

Chicken thighs Provençal

This recipe is called chicken but it is really all about the vegetables.  It is a French inspired stew that has been fine-tuned to be reduced calorie and low fat.  I took it from the Good Housekeeping,  Light and  Healthy Cooking cookbook.  I pretty much fixed it as written and liked the results without too much tweaking except for adding oregano and some red wine. BTW, the cookbooks says it is 30 minutes of active cooking time and a total of 1 hour 45 minutes, but since I started with bone-in, skin on chicken thighs, it took me longer.

2 pounds, skinless, boneless chicken thighs ( purchased that way, you pay about double the price for the convenience.), cut each thigh into 4 pieces..
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons olive oil ( I probably used a little more)
2 red peppers cut into 1/4 inch wide strips ( I used one red, one orange)
1 yellow pepper cut into 1/4 inch wide strips
1 jumbo onion, thinly sliced ( I used two medium/large yellow onions)
3 cloves garlic, crushed.
1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes ( the recipe is silent on whether to use the juice so I did add the juice.)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme ( I used 1/2 teaspoon)
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
3 strips 3" by 1" orange peel ( I used 1  1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel)
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves chopped ( I left them whole)
I also used 1/4 cup dry red wine which the recipe doesn't call for. And added 1/2 teaspoon oregano.


 I guess I did modify it a good bit!
1 sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a non- reactive 5-quart Dutch oven, ( I used a really large frying pan.), heat a teaspoon oil and then add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Reduce the heat to medium, add to the pan 1 teaspoon oil,peppers, onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt. (I omitted this salt). Cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are tender and slightly browned, about 20 minutes.  Add garlic and cook an additional minute or two.

Return chicken to pan.  Add remaining herbs except the basil.  Add the tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon. (I pulverized them with my hands as I added them. Here is where I added the tomato juice and the recipe is silent on that.)

Reduce heat and simmer until chicken loses its pink color throughout, about 15minutes.  Transfer to serving bowl and add the basil. If you add the basil too soon, it will lose the pretty green color.

This makes 4 servings at about 215 calories per serving.  In other words about 1 thigh per serving.
I served this with couscous.  It was delicious.
I changed more than I realized but I think that is the right of every experienced cook.







No comments:

Post a Comment