Thursday, September 12, 2013

Do you really need Hamburger Helper?

When I was a child, there was no such thing as Hamburger Helper.  I think that every household had their own collection of these recipes and they were all quick, easy and lower in sodium than the boxed varieties, not to mention better tasting since they are easy to customize to your family's taste.

Tonight I am featuring one of those recipes from my mother's collection.  She called it Dinner in a Dish
Because she threw it together and served it in a casserole.

1 pound lean ground beef
1 large yellow onion coarsely chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopped (1 tablespoon of you use the pre-prepared )
1 teaspoon salt ( I like sea salt, she used ordinary table salt)
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper 

Place the about ingredients in a large, heavy fry pan and cook over medium heat until the beef is nicely browned,and the onions translucent.  Drain but do not rinse. Return the meat mixture to the fry pan and add:

1 14.5oz. Can diced tomatoes in tomato juice
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 cup water
1 15.5 oz Can kidney beans (I drain them, Mom didn't )
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more) to taste.  I like spicy, I add a little Tabasco too.

Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed.
Serve with a green salad.  This works well with coleslaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment