Sunday, September 8, 2013

Two easy meals from one slow cooked pork loin


Guest blogger and youngest daughter Sarah here, and I want to brag about a two super easy meal ideas that came from one slow cooked pork loin, which I will admit is big sister's recipe.

Base Recipe: Sweet and Spicy Dr. Pepper Pork Loin

Ingredients:
Big ole pork loin
1 cup brown sugar
12-16 oz of Dr. Pepper*
12-20 oz of salsa*

Directions: 
• Place the loin into a big ole slow cooker.
• Pour the remaining ingredients over the loin.
• Cover and heat on low setting for eight hours.

*Adjust amounts based on size of loin and slow cooker, as well as for desired balance of sweet versus spicy.

Meal One: Meat and Taters
Pair the fresh out of the crock pot loin with Walmart's BBQ chopped salad and mashed potatoes. My taters were left over Rachael Ray smashed potatoes, but the Yukon Gold instant potatoes would be sufficient in a time crunch.

Meal Two: Pork Tacos
Shred and reheat the leftover loin. Warm tortillas; I used Rosa's Cafe flour tortillas, which are thick and homemade style. Mix Walmart's Southwestern Chop salad. Create tacos to taste with standard taco fixings--see my mom's post on that for ideas. My husband's delicious suggestion? Dress the taco with the chopped salad!

Photos
I didn't realize that I had a blog post brewing until we were halfway through meal two, so I apologize for the unattractive photos. Then again, shouldn't food be so delicious that you devour it before you have a chance to think straight?

The taco done Jeff-style with pork, chop salad, and a sour cream and salsa mix

Walmart's super delicious Southwestern Chop Salad

All that remains of the super tender, sweet and spicy pork loin

No comments:

Post a Comment