Friday, September 6, 2013

Simple Marinara Sauce and a nice Pesto

When my children were young, I was always trying to find a marinara sauce that,1. Didn't cause any food allergies to flare up and, 2. Contained enough vegetable content that my salad adverse children could eat just the spaghetti and sauce.  It pretty much didn't exist so I experimented with different recipes until I hit on this one.  It is really simple and can be ready to serve within 45 minutes although the longer you simmer it, the better it tastes.  

3 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
3 celery sticks, washed and cut into chunks ( leaves are ok if you like the flavor, I do.)
1 large onion peeled and cut up into chunks.

Place the veggies in your food processor and start it.  As it is spinning add:

2 Tablespoons garlic minced or 4 to 5 cloves
1 14 to 15 oz can tomatoes along with the can liquid

If you want to use fresh herbs, add them just before you are finished processing.
The vegetables should be a purée.  The whole point is to make them unnoticeable.

If you don't have fresh herbs, should use 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning. I usually add basil, oregano and thyme when it is available in my garden and them supplement with a little dried marjoram since I don't grow that herb. I am not giving an exact guide with the fresh herbs since the strength of their favors might vary.  I use about a teaspoon of thyme and a tablespoon of basil and oregano. (Measured as whole leaves)

Put the purée into a large, 3 quart sauce pan.  Add:

2 6 oz. cans tomato paste
3 cups water
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.  (Go ahead and use the canned grated cheese.)

If you use no salt added or low sodium tomatoes, add a pinch of salt.  

Put on low heat and simmer uncovered.  Add a little water if it is too thick.

If you want a meat sauce, brown the meat of your choice and add it at the beginning.
I usually leave the sauce meatless and add meatballs to the portion that I am serving for that meal.

I will be making meatballs soon with my daughters, Elissa and Sarah.  Look for that post soon.

The Pesto is a great spread for nice warm Italian bread and leftover, it is awesome on turkey sandwiches.  Here is that recipe!

In your food processor:
2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
1cup Parmesan cheese ( here I would use fresh grated if available)
1/2 cup pine nuts ( Sometimes I use pecans for variety.  It tastes a little different. If you have a nut allergy, just leave the nuts out.)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Process until the basil is finely chopped.

 PS. the marinara source freezes great but the pesto should be refrigerated and used within a week.



No comments:

Post a Comment